Hello eveyone, thank you for the lovely birthday wishes!! 🙂 I’ll share some photos soon. 🙂
Here’s a tutorial for a patchwork book cover. I have a new sketchbook where I sort and keep inspiration and make sketches for future DIY projects. Since black is not my favourite color, I wanted the book to look friendly and colorful and here’s how I sewed the cover. 🙂 You only need a book, some fabric scraps which are big enough to cover the book, a larger piece of fabric which is a bit bigger than the book itself, a sewing machine and sewing supplies.
1. Take some paper and make a draft of the cover. Therefore, put the book onto the paper, draw its outline onto the paper and leave some margins and make it wider so that you can fold it around the book.
2. Cut out fabric scraps.
3. Sew the scraps next to each other.
4. It should now look like this, you should now have a huge piece of fabric which is slightly bigger and wider than your book.
9. Now cut out the other piece of fabric for the ‘inside’ (you won’t see it later, but using a secong layer of fabric or some lining makes the cover look prettier) which is as big as your patchwork piece. Put the two layers onto each other, right sides facing.
10. Put the book onto the layers in order to find out where to sew and how wide the seam allowances have to be.
11. Draw the line where you want to sew, leave a small seam allowance and make sure to make it wider at the sides of the book so that you can fold it around.
12. Now sew the two layers onto each other and leave an opening at one side so that you can later turn the fabric inside out.
17. This is how it should be looking.
18. Close the opening with pins.
19. Top stitch around the whole book cover and close the opening.
20. Finally, fold around the sides, fitting them to the book and adjusting them to the book’s size.